Anthony Geary is an American actor best known for his role as Luke Spencer on the ABC daytime drama General Hospital. He has most likely appeared in over a hundred different TV and film roles.
- Anthony Geary’s sexual orientation has long been a source of controversy. On the possibility of him being gay or straight, there is conflicting information.
- While the General Hospital actor’s relationship with a former costar suggests he is straight, his active participation in gay rights activism has led some fans to believe otherwise.
- We try to shed some light on the star’s personal preferences, despite the fact that the GH alum has remained mum on the subject, staying far away from Hollywood gossip at his home in Amsterdam.
Geary Confirms Affair With Actress, Elizabeth Taylor
In the long-running soap opera General Hospital, actor Geary starred alongside late actress Elizabeth Taylor. Elizabeth portrayed Helena Cassadine in three episodes, while he played Luke Spencer for over 35 years. Their relationship most likely progressed after they met on set.
During an interview on The Wendy Williams Show in 2010, the star of General Hospital confirmed the relationship. When the talk show host brought up their friendship, the Daytime Emmy Award winner revealed that he was more than just a friend to the late actress. In response to the fact that they had a romantic relationship at one point,
“I was sort of her boy-toy for a couple of years .”
Now, the veteran actor’s affair with Elizabeth raises the possibility that he is gay. However, some proofs suggest otherwise.
Anthony Geary Enjoys Living in Amsterdam and claims that there is no Judgment
Today, the Coalville, Utah native resides in Amsterdam and has always been forthright about his reasons for eschewing Hollywood’s glitz and relocating to Europe. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly in 2008, the soap opera star claimed that the city’s unapologetic liberal attitudes were what drew him there. He also joked that because they didn’t have to, the people there didn’t spend time debating abortion rights, gay rights, or individual rights.
It was great to be in a place where intelligent people didn’t spend so much time arguing about things like abortion rights, gay rights, and individual rights. But people just assumed that those things were part of the fabric of their society…. I found that this was the place I’d been looking for all my life.
Now, because the General Hospital alum stated that he wanted to live in a place where such rights were normalized and accepted as part of society’s fabric, it can be assumed that he wanted to live in a place where his sexuality was not judged.
In another interview, the eight-time Emmy winner expressed a similar sentiment, saying that his heart belonged to Amsterdam. He was said to have never felt more at ease on his skin than in the European city.
Furthermore, he revealed growing up in a Mormon community and feeling restrained for a long time while speaking with Nancy and Kaore in May 2020. Similarly, Hollywood’s fame rarely afforded him privacy, which is why the famous actor felt liberated after moving to Amsterdam.
He stated that:
When I came to this town, there was no judgment on people for who they were what they did, what they were interested in, what appealed to them, what turned them on! I went, wait! You know? What’s better than this!
Statements like these have popped up in multiple threads about the now-retired actor’s sexual orientation. His comments about gay rights and feeling at ease in his own skin have been interpreted by fans as his coming-out story. However, this is not the case.
It’s worth noting that he’s also discussed abortion rights and individual liberties in general. Simply because the actor supports and empathizes with gay people’s plight is insufficient evidence of his sexual preferences.
Ten Facts of Actor-Anthony Geary
- Anthony Geary is a 71-year-old American actor who was born on May 29, 1947, in Coalville, Utah.
- Russell Dean Geary (building contractor) is his father’s name, and Dana Anderson Geary is his mother’s name (homemaker).
- DeAnn Geary Bond and Jana Geary Steele are his two siblings.
- Anthony is of mixed ethnicity (Danish- English- Welsh- Scottish- German) and holds American citizenship.
- Gemini is his zodiac sign.
- He made his television debut in an episode of Room 222 and went on to star in shows such as All in the
- Family, The Mod Squad, Mannix, Marcus Welby, M.D., The Streets of San Francisco, and Barnaby Jones.
- He was nominated twice for the Soap Opera Digest Awards for Outstanding Lead Actor in a General Hospital Drama Series (1963).
- He also won eight Daytime Emmy Awards for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series for his work on General Hospital (1963).
- Anthony Geary stands 6 feet 2 inches tall.