|computer scientist and Internet entrepreneur
Jawed Karim is an American computer scientist and Internet entrepreneur best known for co-founding the popular website YouTube. Jawed Karim is the first person to upload the video to YouTube. As a PayPal employee, he designed features such as a real-time anti-internet-fraud system.
How much is the Net Worth of Jawed Karim?
According to celebritynetworth, Karim’s net worth is estimated to be in the $300 million range. He owns over 137,443 units of YouTube stock, which is now worth more than $140 million due to the stock’s rise in value.
How old is Jawed Karim?
Jawed Karim (44 years old) is a computer scientist and Internet entrepreneur who was born on October 28, 1979, in Merseburg, East Germany.
East Germany is modern-day Germany. He is an American citizen with a Bangladeshi father and a German mother.
His father’s name is Naimul Karim (Researcher), and his mother’s name is Christine Karim (German scientist). His father is a research professor of biochemistry at the University of Minnesota.
He has a sibling named Ilias. His zodiac sign is Scorpio, and there is no information about his religion. Similarly, Karim moved to West Germany with his family after crossing the inner German border in the early 1980s.
He grew up in Neuss before his family relocated to Saint Paul, Minnesota, in 1992.
Education of Jawed Karim
Karim later enrolled at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, for a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, but dropped out before graduating to work for PayPal.
He was one of PayPal’s early employees. Later, he continued his studies and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in computer science in 2004. He then earned a master’s degree in computer science from Stanford University.
Who is the Wife of Jawed Karim?
Karim is a straight man who appears to be in a relationship with British writer Kia Abdullah. They were spotted together several times.
He prefers to keep his personal life private, so he is secretive about his affairs and relationships. There is no information about his previous affairs.
Karim is embroiled in a controversy after openly criticizing YouTube’s new feature in YouTube comments. To leave a comment on YouTube, the user must have a Google+ account.
As a result, he criticizes Google, and the Google+ feature and app are later removed. He is said to be dating British writer Kia Abdullah.
What does Jawed Karim look like?
Karim appears to be a tall man. However, he does not know his exact body measurements, such as height and weight. In addition, his eyes appear to be brown, and he has brown hair.
Career Line of Jawed Karim
- Jawed interned at Silicon Graphics Inc., where he worked on 3D voxel data management. This company creates both computer hardware and software. There, he had to work on 3D voxel data management for large data sets for volume rendering.
- Later, he joined the well-known online payment company PayPal, where he designed features such as a real-time anti-internet-fraud system. He was one of the first PayPal employees. While working at PayPal, he met two other employees, Steve Chen and Chad Hurley.
- In 2005, he made history by co-founding YouTube with Steve Chen and Chad Hurley. Karim also designed and built several key components of PayPal. One of them is a real-time anti-fraud system.
- Then he became the first person to upload a video to YouTube, the video titled ‘Me at the Zoo.’ He rose to prominence after Google acquired YouTube in 2006.
- Karim’s inspiration for creating the website came when he couldn’t easily find video clips of two events. He couldn’t find clips of the Super Bowl XXXVIII halftime show controversy involving Janet Jackson and the Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami. Both of these events/incidents occurred in 2004.
- Hurley and Chen stated that they were initially inspired by the concept of the dating site Hot or Not.
- He did not work as an employee on YouTube because he preferred to devote his time to his studies and instead worked as an adviser. He has a lower share than the other co-founders due to his lack of involvement in website development.
- They activated the domain name YouTube on 14 February 2005, and the site gradually developed over the next few months. YouTube began as a venture capital-funded technology startup company, with an initial investment of $11.5 million from American venture capital firm Sequoia Capital.
- It also included $8 million from Artis Capital Management. Initially, the company’s headquarters were located in San Mateo, California, above a pizzeria and a Japanese restaurant.
- Similarly, on April 23, 2005, Karim launched his YouTube channel ‘jawed’ and uploaded the first video to the video-sharing website that he designed and developed.
- Yakov Lapitsky, a high school friend, recorded and featured Karim in the video titled ‘Me at the Zoo’ at the San Diego Zoo. The video has already received over 54.6 million views, and his channel has over 354 thousand subscribers.
- Karim became a company adviser after co-founding and developing YouTube with Chen and Hurley. Simultaneously, he continued his education by enrolling at Stanford University to complete his bachelor’s degree in computer science.
- Karem joined the company as an unofficial adviser in February 2005. He was not hired at the time the website was launched. He did this so that he could concentrate more on his studies.
- Karim received a much lower share of the company than the other two co-founders because he stepped down from his roles at YouTube. Not only that but as the third founder of YouTube, he went largely unnoticed and out of the public eye.
- This was the case until Google purchased YouTube for $1.65 billion in November 2006. Karim received 137,443 shares of stock at the time, which was worth approximately $64 million. It is based on the closing stock price of Google at the time.
- In October 2006, he gave a lecture titled ‘YouTube: From Concept to Hyper-growth’ at the University of Illinois’ annual ACM Conference on the history of YouTube. During his lecture, he referred to Wikipedia as an innovative social experiment.
- Furthermore, in 2007, Karim became the University of Illinois’ youngest Commencement Speaker in history. He was the 136th person to give a commencement speech at that university at the time.
- In March 2008, he co-founded Youniversity Ventures with Kevin Hartz and Keith Rabois. In April 2009, he was one of the first investors in Airbnb Inc, which operates an online marketplace and hospitality service. As a result, Karim became one of the company’s initial investors when it was founded in August 2008.
- Karim’s programming articles have appeared in Dr. Dobb’s Journal (DDJ), a monthly publication of United Business Media in the United States.
- Later, YouTube made it mandatory that all comments on this website’s videos be made through a Google+ account. The YouTube community reacted angrily to this.
- People signed an online petition calling for the reversal of this decision, which garnered over 240K signatures. Karim also expressed his dissatisfaction with the change.
- On his YouTube account, he displayed it by writing, “why the….do I need a Google+ account to comment on a video?” Karim also went on to update the video description of ‘Me at the Zoo’… ‘I can’t comment here anymore because I don’t want a Google+ account.’