Reginald VelJohnson is an actor from the United States. He is best known for his role on the sitcom Family Matters as Carl Winslow.
Besides, he appeared in well-known films such as Die Hard and Die Hard 2. She also won the WRIFF Award for The Formula in the category of Wild Rose Independent Film Festival.
- Unnecessary rumors and questions about personal lives, sexual preferences, and even death hoaxes are some of the drawbacks of working in the entertainment industry.
- Reginald VelJohnson, a veteran actor and comedian, experienced the same thing.
- VelJohnson, best known for his role as Carl Winslow in Family Matters, has been the talk of the town for his sexuality on several occasions.
- People believe he is gay, and they have good reason to believe so.
VelJohnson’s TV Son Supported His Sexuality Confidentiality
An actor’s worth is determined by how well he or she portrays a character, to the point where viewers forget they are watching them act. The same can be said for VelJohnson. Winslow, his character, is adored by fans all over the world. Even when an interview has nothing to do with him, people find ways to learn more about the famous TV dad.
When Darius McCrary, VelJohnson’s TV son, sat down with the Comedy Hype to talk about the show, he was asked if VelJohnson’s sexuality was ever brought up during his time on Family Matters. Without hesitation, the actor stated that he has never understood why people are concerned about someone’s sexuality or personal choices.
Why is that even a question? I mean with any artist. What does their sexuality have to do with them entertaining you, them performing for you?
Not only that, but McCrary also stated that he is not a fan of the media-controlling a person’s portrayal and the audience’s viewpoint.
James Avery and Reginald VelJohnson’s Rumored Relationship
While VelJohnson was nailing Winslow’s role in Family Matters, Fresh Prince of Bel-Uncle Air’s Phil, James Avery, was winging it as Uncle Phil. They were also listed as the top three closeted black actors, in addition to being at the career of their careers. It was mostly because they were rumored to be in a secret relationship that they made it to the latter list.
Yes, you read that correctly. Back then, there were a lot of rumors about TV dads Winslow and Philip Banks dating. And, in 2014, when Winslow’s uncle Phil showed up on the set of Family Matters to surprise him, it only added to the fire. Some speculated that it was a well-kept secret, while others questioned their relationship, but neither actor paid attention to the rumors and chose to remain silent.
When Avery married, the rumors eventually died down. Sadly, the talented actor died in 2014 as a result of complications from open-heart surgery.
Policeman-Reginald VelJohnson was a Victim of a Hoax Death
VelJohnson died of a heart attack in February 2017, according to reports. He was reportedly flying from London to Los Angeles when paramedics removed him from the plane and rushed him to a nearby hospital for treatment of his cardiac arrest.
Everything turned out to be a hoax, as the actor is still alive and well. On the 30th anniversary of Family Matters, he spoke to TV One TV about how special the iconic series was.
Ten Facts of Reginald VelJohnson
- Reginald VelJohnson is an actor from the United States.
- He is best known for his role on the sitcom Family Matters as Carl Winslow.
- Reginald, a 66-year-old American actor, is unmarried.
- Besides, he has never been in a romantic relationship.
- There was a time when it was rumored that he was gay and that he was dating James Avery.
- However, in 1988, James married Barbara Avery, putting an end to the rumor.
- When it comes to his previous relationships, there isn’t much information available.
- Reginald VelJohnson was born in Queens, New York, on August 16, 1952.
- He attended Benjamin N. Cardozo High School when it came to his education.
- Reginald VelJohnson stands 5 feet 8 inches tall.